Dual Language Lottery Procedure 2019-2020
In order to meet the needs of the diverse learners in the District, the goal of the Dual Language Program is to fill classrooms with the following make-up of students:
- ⅓ native English
- ⅓ native Spanish
- ⅓ emerging bilinguals
There are six classroom sections that are filled with a capacity of 25 students. Spots are reserved for English Learners (ELs).
The following requirements must be fulfilled in order for non-ELs to be considered for the Dual Language Program and to participate in the lottery:
- New families must have attended one of the Parent Information meetings and must sign in.
- All families must have submitted electronically a Dual Language Application prior to the deadline. The window for applying for the program will be February 22 - April 4, 2019.
- All families must have registered their child for kindergarten prior to the lottery deadline of April 4, 2019.
The lottery will adhere to the following procedure:
- As decided by the district ELL committee, all siblings will be placed in the current building where a sibling attends. If the sibling is no longer enrolled in an elementary building, the school location will be determined. This may impact the total number of available spots for the lottery at each specific location.
- All students designated as English Learners (ELs) according to the WIDA Model Proficiency test will be automatically placed in the dual language program to meet the requirements by the state of Illinois to receive ELL services. These students will qualify with a composite score below 5.0.
- If another language is spoken in the home, the student will then be screened. If the student does not qualify for ELL services based on the state criteria but does receive a composite score of 5.0 - 5.4 and is a Spanish Emerging Bilingual, he/she will be admitted into the program as they will benefit from the additional language services. These students will be classified as “Emerging Bilinguals”
- The first digital lottery process will consist of three groups for each Dual Language building: North, Canterbury and Coventry and separated out by boys and girls in order to balance the classrooms.
- The first lottery will be for native English-speaking students as well as emerging bilingual students who did not qualify based on their language proficiency test results. A total of 18 students per building will be selected for this first lottery. (Please note, if there are siblings placed into the program this total number will change.)
- Once all classrooms are filled an additional 5 students will be selected per building and placed on a waiting list in the order of selection.
- The lottery will take place on April 9, 2019.
- All families will be notified by mail of their acceptance or non-acceptance into the Dual Language Program. Letters will be mailed out by the week of April 15, 2019.