Husmann Elementary School
131 W. Paddock Street
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Attendance Line: 815.356.3413
Click here for contact information for building leadership and office staff.
Husmann Elementary is the oldest school in District 47. The original school building was occupied in 1884 and housed both elementary and high school students.
Shortly after the turn of the century, Crystal Lake experienced a growth in population. A separate building was constructed in 1906 to house the high school students.
The completion of a 2002 addition to Husmann resulted in a new Library Media Center, a new cafeteria, and various internal renovations.
The name of the school has undergone change over the years as well as the building itself. Originally named Union School because it served the communities of Nunda and Crystal Lake, the school was renamed Central Elementary School when these two communities united earlier in this century to form the town of Crystal Lake.
In 1985 Central Elementary School became John L. Husmann Elementary School in honor of its then retiring principal. Mr. Husmann was a well known and highly respected educator in Crystal Lake. His career spanned 35 years as a teacher and administrator in District 47.