Freedom of Information Act Requests
What is the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state statute that provides the public the right to access government documents and records. The premise behind FOIA is to ensure transparency of government. The law provides that a person can ask a public body for a copy of its records on a specific subject and the public body must provide those records, unless there is an exemption in the statute that protects those records from disclosure. As a public institution, Crystal Lake Elementary District 47 is subject to the Illinois FOIA.
How to file a FOIA request:
1. Complete a FOIA request form.
2. For all records, please furnish the following information:
- Requester's Name
- Name of Organization (if applicable)
- Email or mailing address or fax number to where the response should be sent.
- Telephone number(s).
- Specific information regarding the documents you are seeking.
- Completed request form.
3. File your FOIA request in any of the following ways:
- Mail or deliver to: Crystal Lake Elementary District 47, 300 Commerce Dr., Crystal Lake, IL 60014
- Scan and email to email@example.com
4. Questions about FOIAs can be directed to District 47 FOIA officer Clare Bourne at 815.788.5000 or CFBourne@d47.org.