What is the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state statute that provides the public the right to access government documents and records. The premise behind FOIA is to ensure transparency of government. The law provides that a person can ask a public body for a copy of its records on a specific subject and the public body must provide those records, unless there is an exemption in the statute that protects those records from disclosure. As a public institution, Crystal Lake Elementary District 47 is subject to the Illinois FOIA.
How to File a FOIA request
1. Complete a FOIA request form (accessed from the link on the right side of this page).
2. For all records, please furnish the following information:
- Requesters Name
- Name of Organization (if applicable)
- Email/mailing address or fax number to where the response should be sent.
- Telephone number(s).
- Specific information regarding the documents you are seeking.
- Completed request form.
3. File your FOIA request in any of the following ways:
- Mail or deliver to:
Crystal Lake Elementary District 47, 300 Commerce Dr., Crystal Lake, IL 60014
- Fax to FOIA Officer at 815.479.8566
- Scan and email to FOIA@d47.org
4. If you should have questions in the process please contact District 47’s FOIA Officer
- Clare Bourne at 815.788.5000 and/or CFBourne@d47.org