Be Kind - Be Aware of the Impact of Words and Pictures
What we do at D47:
What you can do at home:
Discuss the issues of cyberbullying
- Discuss with students the impact of how words sent via text or a post might be interpreted differently by different kids.
- Discuss the importance of re-reading or stepping away from a device before hitting send or responding to a post.
- Discuss the importance of telling a trusted adult if you feel threatened or bullied or if you see it happening to someone else.
- Discuss the importance of not sharing or forwarding harmful or unkind posts or images.
- Model for your child the way to appropriately interact with peers.
- Emphasize that adults encounter many of the same issues as students online.
- Have open dialogue about how to respond to people you disagree with.
- Discuss the impact to your family if any of the information posted was publicized in the local newspaper, or if a grandparent were to see it.
- Discuss the consequences (personal and/or legal) for posting threatening information online.
For information regarding apps your child might be using or for issues that students are dealing with while online, please visit the Project B3 blog.