• Understand the components of a healthy individual and identify ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle
• Describe and explain the human body systems, how they interrelate, and how the body changes through growth and development*
• Identify different emotions and how to communicate appropriately
• Understand individual differences and how to nurture self-esteem
• Explain the basic principles of nutrition, hygiene routines, signs and symptoms of illness, and environmental influences that can affect your health
• Identify the components of communication, apply decision-making steps and refusal skills, and demonstrate skills essential to enhancing a healthy lifestyle
*The 5th grade human growth and development unit consists of two components - one lesson on the endocrine system and one lesson more specific to puberty and human growth and development. To promote an understanding of human body systems during adolescent growth and development in an inclusive environment, students will learn together in a co-ed setting. This fosters an open and empathetic atmosphere as students encounter this topic in 5th grade and promotes the understanding that this information is not secret or shameful. Students will continue to engage in sexual health education in a co-ed setting throughout middle school.
6th Grade Health
During these six weeks students will be discussing the following topics: total health, bullying, stress, lack of sleep, muscular/skeletal/circulatory systems, HIV/AIDS, and growth and/ development. Along with these topics, students will be discussing decision-making skills needed to make healthy lifestyle choices.
7th Grade Health
During these six weeks students will be discussing the following topics: communication, sleep, effects of caffeine/beverage choices on health, leading causes of preventable death in America and their prevention measures, tobacco/drugs, and first aid. Along with these topics, students will be discussing refusal skills and decision-making skills needed to develop healthy bodies including nutritional choices for a healthy lifestyle.
8th Grade Health
During these six weeks students will be discussing the following topics: alcohol, healthy relationships, sexually transmitted infections, abstinence, and mental/emotional health. Along with these topics, students will be discussing refusal skills and decision-making skills needed to make healthy lifestyle choices including making daily nutritional decisions.